You probably guessed it, we closed on Talaria, and Galina and I were very excited to see our project move forward. Thankfully the closing process was straight forward:

  • Overnight the checks to the broker on Monday so they would clear by Friday.
  • Reach out to the Oyster Bay town hall to file an application for a mooring permit, and setup an appointment with them to pay the fee.
  • Reach out to the marina to make sure we could get our mooring placed.
  • Pay for the marina’s launch service (we need it to get to our moored boat from land, no swimming for us).
  • Confirm the date and time with the broker and seller, so that we could sign the documents are transfer the title.

On Friday, July 1st we finalized that entire process and started the boat cleaning. The plan was to have the boat ready to host our friends, Sean and Emily, for a fourth of July firework celebration.

After our survey, we knew that the whole boat needed a good scrubbing. Only issue, we had no idea how to clean anything on a boat. How do you clean teak? Can you use bleach in the head? What is the best way to polish the hull? We started the week doing some extensive research and after reading quite a few forum posts, we decided to go with cleaning processes that were the least harmful to the environment, which also usually happens to be the least expensive. Turns out cleaning teak only requires a good brush and some elbow grease, while bleach can actually damage your hoses. We also realized that our cleaning list was quite extensive and it would take a few weekends for us to complete.

Galina Luggage Montage

So with our bags full of boat cleaning supplies, bedding, toiletries, and clothes we got on the Oyster Bay train on Friday early afternoon. That first weekend, we were able to get some light cleaning done throughout the boat. The bad boat smell persisted but it was definitely an improvement. We also realized that every project would take much longer than we had planned, and instead of taking a few weekends it would actually be an on-going project as we get ready for our departure mid-September.

With some light cleaning done on the first weekend, we had the boat in decent enough shape to host Sean and Emily on Monday for a day on the water. We had a great time, with a little bit of yelling as we were still figuring out how to work the boat (this being our second sail so far), but ultimately it all worked out. After the sail we celebrated with some champagne and lunch. We finally returned home after watching the firework show that James Dolan puts on every year from a barge set a couple of hundred yards off his property on Oyster Bay. We came home with a long list of projects (our first boat list) and a much better idea of what needed to be done to get this boat live-aboard ready.

Take a look at my next post for the list of all our boat projects.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *