We are moving on the boat full time this Friday, and it is nice to see that we are progressing on our boat project list with lots of items moving to the completed list and some to the partially completed. We both feel much more confident that the boat will be ready by departure date. Now we just need to make sure we are good on the sailing part.

THINGS WE STILL HAVE TO DO:
  1. Take diesel engine class
  2. Clean all running rigging
  3. Purchase new running rigging as necessary
  4. Wash sail bags to remove mold
  5. Get our head sail patched (multiple tears around the leech and foot). We contacted Doyle, a sailmaker, and they are sending someone to check our current sail sometime next week
  6. Wax hull
  7. Repaint boat name and home port
  8. Install solar panels (they’re ordered and should come in next week)
  9. Install inverter for 110 volt outlets
  10. Replace outlets in head and galley with GFCI outlets
  11. Re-wire mast lights (which were incorrectly plugged in after the last demasting)
  12. Purchase new anchor chain
  13. Replace hatch in the v-berth
  14. Replace gasket in saloon hatch
  15. Purchase and install cockpit table
  16. Purchase a dinghy and outboard motor
ALMOST COMPLETED:
  1. Clean on deck teak (just need to finish the toe-rail). This is still in progress and it turns out we need to lightly sand everything as well. The good news is that the finished teak looks amazing.
  2. Hatch cover/curtains (these are made, just need to attach the velcro). One done, one to go. Not sure why this is taking so long.
  3. Get both the v-berth and head door to close. One done, one to go.
  4. Purchase and install wind cowls for below-deck ventilation. We ordered some very fancy stainless steel wind cowls, just need to install them now.
  5. Purchase GPS/Chartplotter. This is on the boat, just needs to be wired up.
  6. Replace holding tank sanitation hoses and vent hose. We’re very glad to move this one to the almost done category. Replacing the sanitation hoses was a disgusting job. I have never smelled anything quite like it before. Sour grapes would be my first description, but that doesn’t even do it justice. Only the vent hose needs to be changed at this point.
  7. Fix marine toilet. We found a repair kit on the boat, so we opened up the pump and replaced all the gaskets and joker valve. Thankfully it works well now.
  8. Purchase and install a bimini. This is paid for, just need it delivered and installed.
  9. Purchase main sail cover. Again, this is paid for and just need to be delivered and installed.
  10. Change the raw water pump for the engine. We had a leak in the front and back of the pump requiring a full replacement. There was some miscommunication and the guys at the marina installed the new raw water pump I purchased without our knowledge. Thankfully the marina was kind enough not to charge us at all. Win-win for me and me.
COMPLETED PROJECTS:
  1. Replace a shackle that connects the main to the mast and purchase additional spares. (Here’s a great article on what’s what in main mast shackles and slugs from sailrite.com)
  2. Install USB ports for charging phones and VHF radio
  3. Purchase new VHF radio
  4. Purchase 2 self inflating offshore life-vests
  5. Purchase LED bulbs
  6. Remove  LORAN unit and antenna (the antenna is old and covered in fiberglass splinters which will get embedded in your hand if you grab onto it)
  7. Clean both water tanks and filters
  8. Clean all below-deck wood surfaces with Murphy’s Oil Soap (mostly done, need to finish the quarter berth)
  9. Remove all mold from the inside of the hull where accessible, glad that one is done!
  10. Check water pressure. We ended up having to replace the diaphragm on the pump as it was performing poorly, we also found that some gasket was lodged in the pump. It works great now.
  11. Replace leaky faucet in head
  12. Replace gasket in v-berth ports. This was a huge pain to install but we did it.
  13. Replaced all lifelines. This was not originally on our list, but after removing the plastic cover on one of them we both decided we should just bite the bullet and do it since this is pretty important.
  14. Purchased an EPIRB from Amazon, just in case. I looked at the rentals through BoatUS, but at $65 per week, it just didn’t make any sense; I think they are meant for short-term, 1-2 weeks trips.
  15. Get MMSI from the FCC, Galina should have a post up about this soon.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Top