After three months of intense boat shopping and two denied offers, we finally have an offer that was accepted. The panic attack can begin now. Literally, I was waking up in the middle of the night thinking oh crap, this is really happening.

So which is our lucky lady?

She’s a 1987 Sabre 34 and of course she’s a beauty – we’re both suckers for a dark blue hull. While she needs some love to bring her back to her full glory, I’m hoping she’s not too much of a project boat. I’m certain I’ll reread this post later on and think ha, how optimistic! The good news is we’ve heard great things about Sabres and they come highly recommended from our experienced sailor friends.

We actually saw her nearly three months ago right after our Miami trip. She was the first boat we saw locally and Romain was ready to make an offer that day. I on the other hand wasn’t that convinced and thought she would have too many issues; leaks, engine problems, smelly head, etc. Fast forward three months and we saw all kinds of boats. Two of them we absolutely loved and made offers, but they were way out of our budget so our low-ball offers were very quickly turned down. Can’t blame us for trying.

After that we had to come down to reality and focus on more reasonable boats for our price point. I brought up the Sabres again, but after seeing beautiful boats like the Contest 36S and the Wauquiez Pretorien Romain really wanted to have two private berths and was no longer a fan of the Sabre 34 layout. However, our budget was fixed and we kept hearing very good things about Sabres; solid boats, well made, and they can go offshore. Best of all, we saw one that we could actually afford.

So we came back full circle to Talaria. We made the offer on Monday night and by Tuesday morning it was accepted. We’ve sent in our deposit, signed the sales agreement, and now we just have to wait for the survey and sea trial. Assuming that goes well, she’ll be ours! If the survey reveals major issues we’ll still have the option to walk away and get our deposit back, but we’re hoping for the best. Since this will be our first survey and sea trial, it’s going to be an interesting experience. I’m truly excited and can’t wait to see how it goes.

Stay tuned for the results!


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *